What is Advanced Placement?
The Advantages of Advanced Placement (From the College Board website)
Stand Out in College Admissions
Deciding to take an AP course lets colleges and universities know that you have what it takes to succeed in an undergraduate environment. When admissions officers see “AP” on your transcript, they know that what you experienced in a particular class has prepared you well for the challenges of college. Taking AP is a sign that you’re up for the most rigorous classes your high school has to offer.
Earn College Credits
By taking an AP course and scoring successfully on the related AP Exam, you can save on college expenses: most colleges and universities nationwide offer college credit, advanced placement, or both, for qualifying AP Exam scores. These credits can allow students to save college tuition, study abroad, or secure a second major. AP can transform what once seemed unattainable into something within reach.
Check out specific colleges’ guidelines on accepting AP scores for credit and placement by searching our AP Credit Policy database.
Skip Introductory Classes
If you already know your preferred college major, taking a related AP course and earning a qualifying score on the AP Exam can help you advance and avoid required introductory courses – so you can move directly into upper-level classes and focus on the work that interests you most.
Even taking an AP Exam unrelated to your major – whether or not you know what you want to major in – can place you beyond your college’s general education requirements. This opens up additional time on your schedule, enabling you to do a second major or minor, take exciting electives, or pursue additional interests.
Build College Skills
Taking an AP course builds the skills you'll need throughout your college years. You give your mind a rigorous workout while polishing up your time management and study skills. You also get better at handling challenging issues and problems, with the support of your AP teachers. AP courses let you know what to expect during the next phase of your educational journey, and help you build the confidence to succeed.
AP Classes offered at WNS…
- AP Biology / AP Chemistry (rotating years)
- AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Language & Composition
- AP Literature & Composition
AP Classes offered at WNS via online…
- AP Human Geography
- AP World History
- AP European History
- AP US History
- AP Japanese Language
- AP Statistics
- AP Computer Science Principles
WNS student percentage taking AP classes
- WNS will have 44 high school students (out of 90 total high school students) take an AP class.
- Between the 44 high school students, a total of 66 Advanced Placement classes will be taken.
AP Test Pass Rate
- The 2017-2018 results will be coming in July / August 2018.
AP Test Information for 2018-2019 School Year
Deadline to register by…
- If you are a non-WNS student and are interested in taking the Advanced Placement test with West Nairobi School the deadline to register is Monday February 25th 2019. Orders for AP tests will be placed the next working day after the deadline.
Cost for registering…
- $200 USD
- It is payable through the Finance Department at WNS.
Who to contact…